PACK EXPO Las Vegas features Sustainability Information Center & Over 200 PACK EXPO Green Exhibitors
Arlington, Va.; Sept 25, 2009 – The sustainability landscape is constantly evolving as new requirements change the scope of eco-friendly packaging and environmentally-responsible manufacturing.
To help attendees improve the sustainability of their operations using the latest programs and processes, PACK EXPO Las Vegas (Las Vegas Convention Center, October 5–7), will introduce the Sustainability Information Center.
Ben Miyares, vice president, industry relations for show producer PMMI, notes participants in the Sustainability Information Center include representatives from government agencies, NGOs, universities and sustainability consultants.
The groups will offer guidance on resource conservation and replenishment strategies as well as tactics and techniques that can be used in processing and packaging supply chains, Miyares says:
* Consulting group Environmental Packaging International (EPI) will be available to discuss topics including the Wal-Mart Packaging Scorecard, in-house benchmarking, environmental claims, and software solutions for data collection related to benchmarking, retailer reporting and international fee requirements.
* The American Center for Life Cycle Assessment (ACLCA), a division of the Institute of Environmental Research & Education (IERE). ACLCA focuses on a holistic examination of the environmental impacts of products and services from cradle to grave.
* Clemson University’s Sonoco Institute of Packaging Design & Graphics promotes sustainable design as a core emphasis area. The school provides packaging-specific software training.
* The U.S. Department of Commerce will present initial findings from its study “Sustainability and Competitiveness in the Packaging Machinery Sector” to identify best practices for implementing sustainable manufacturing processes.
* The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will be available to guide attendees in partnering with the EPA to achieve their sustainability-enhancing goals and to addres programs and issues including waste disposal cost, climate change and energy efficiency.
“Implementing sustainability-enhancing tools and practices can be complicated, so it’s essential to be armed with as many facts as possible,” says Miyares. “The Sustainability Information Center brings together a variety of experts to help attendees understand the measures they can take to meet current requirements and plan for the future.”
Online: When you conduct an exhibitor search, look for the PACK EXPO Green logo. If an exhibitor is highlighting sustainable and/or environmentally-friendly solutions, you’ll see green. Over 200 exhibitors will show the PACK EXPO Green logo this year, and you can find them by putting “green” in your keyword search.
Keep an eye out on the show floor: Exhibitors who have displayed the icon online will have a special sign onsite.
Explore sustainability in depth: The Conference at PACK EXPO brings you an entire track of sustainability-related conference sessions.
PMMI is a trade association with more than 530 member companies that manufacture packaging, processing and related converting machinery, commercially-available packaging machinery components, containers and materials in the United States and Canada. PMMIâs vision is to be the leading global resource for packaging, and its mission is to improve and promote members’ abilities to meet the needs of their customers. PMMI organizes the PACK EXPO trade shows: PACK EXPO International, PACK EXPO Las Vegas and EXPO PACK MÃ©xico. Learn more about PMMI at pmmi.org.
PACK EXPO Las Vegas will be held October 5-7, 2009, at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show will be co-located with Converting & Package Printing EXPO and PROCESS EXPO.